Makes 14 servings.
5 (16 oz. each) packages dried beans: lima, great northern, kidney, pinto and split peas (enough for four batches of soup)
3 beef bouillon cubes
3 tablespoons dried chives
1 teaspoon dried savory
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 ½ quarts water
1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
1. Combine beans; divide into four equal 1 pound batches or about 3 ¾ cups each.
2. To Make Batch of Soup: Wash one batch of beans. Place in a large kettle; add enough water to cover bean. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
3. Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag.
4. Drain and rinse beans. Return to kettle; add spices and 2 ½ quarts water. Bring to boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Add tomatoes and heat through. Remove spices and serve.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1 Vegetable, ½ Meat