Makes 4 servings.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large tomato, sliced very thin
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
¼ teaspoon. salt (optional)
1 medium eggplant, sliced very thin
8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an 8x8 or 9x13 baking dish.
3. Sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomato, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Spread a layer of this mixture over the onion layer.
5. Add a layer of eggplant and follow with a layer of tomato.
6. Sprinkle ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese over top.
7. Repeat layers of eggplant, tomato, and cheese until you use all ingredients. Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
9. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes, or until layer of cheese is light brown.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Serving size: 1 slice lasagna (1 cup)