Makes 6 servings.
2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1 cup converted rice (Not instant rice)
4 cups fat-free milk
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup Equal® Spoonful*
3 large egg yolks
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup raisins
Ground cinnamon and nutmeg (optional)
* May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener
1. Heat water and cinnamon stick to boiling in large saucepan; stir in rice. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Discard cinnamon stick.
2. Stir in milk and salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken, stirring frequently. (Milk will not be absorbed and pudding will thicken when it cools.) Remove from heat and cool 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in Equal®.
3. Beat egg yolks, egg whites and vanilla in small bowl until blended. Stir about ½ cup rice mixture into egg mixture. Stir back into saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in raisins.
4. Spoon pudding into serving bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Food Exchanges: 1 Milk, 2 Starch, ½ Fat
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.