Apple Glazed Chicken Bundles
Makes 4 servings.
1 tablespoon stick butter or margarine
¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
2 cups dried unseasoned package bread cubes
⅓ cup dried cranberries
⅓ cup apple juice
⅓ cup water
2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful*
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6-ounces each), pounded to ¼-inch thickness
1½ cups apple juice
½ cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful**
Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
* May substitute 3 packets Equal sweetener
** May substitute 3 packets Equal sweetener
1. Melt butter in small skillet. Add green onions. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes until tender. Place bread cubes and dried cranberries in medium size bowl. Stir in onion mixture.
2. Heat combined ⅓ cup apple juice and ⅓ cup water to boiling. Stir into bread cube mixture until all cubes are moistened. Stir in 2 tablespoons Equal®, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper until combined.
3. Lay chicken breasts on flat surface. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Place ½ cup stuffing mixture in center of each chicken breast. Fold in sides of chicken to form a "bundle". Secure each with wooden picks.
4. Place chicken bundles in shallow sprayed baking pan. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken and stuffing reach 160°F and chicken juices are clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
5. Meanwhile, combine 1½ cups apple juice, ½ cup water, cornstarch and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir until smooth. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil and stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons Equal®. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
6. Spoon glaze over baked chicken. Serve warm.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Sodium 268 mg.
Food Exchanges: 6 Very Lean Meat, 1 Starch, 1 Fruit
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.