Almond Crusted Chicken with Grapefruit Basil Salad
Makes 4 servings.
1 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons ground flax meal
1 teaspoon salt, divided use
2 egg whites
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs or whole wheat cracker crumbs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ Pink grapefruit, sectioned
½ cup 100% Florida grapefruit juice
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce, torn (about ½ pound)
1 pound green beans, steamed 2 to 3 minutes until crisp-tender
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Coat a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Preheat over to 425°F (220°C).
2. Place almonds, flax meal and salt on a large piece of wax paper or aluminum foil. Mix with fingertips until the flax is well combined.
3. Place egg whites in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle chicken with half the salt and pepper on both sides. Dip chicken in egg and press into the bread crumb mixture to coat both sides. Transfer to baking sheet and spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the topping is crunchy.
4. Meanwhile, mix olive oil, mustard, basil and remaining salt in a large bowl. Cut one half of the grapefruit into sections. Pour ½ cup of Florida grapefruit juice into the large bowl. Add grapefruit sections, lettuce and green beans; toss.
5. Serve immediately with chicken.
Recipe created by "Skinny Chef" Jennifer Iserloh.