Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amputations

My uncle was diabetic.

Eventually he lost sensation in one of his legs and the first thing his doctors wanted to do was amputate the leg.

How does amputation improve a diabetic's general health?

this is very sad

my sister in law's mother has been diabetic for years. she lives in europe.
    she has recently gotten an infection in one of her legs. it never healed.
    she is now in the hospital.

the wound is not healing on its own.
    I don't know enough about diabetes to tell you exactly what is happening, but I do know that wounds will heal with more difficulty.

I think amputation helps prevent spread of the infection?

Comment

Amputation of leg doesn't improve the diabetic condition of the patients but it helps to keep the patient away from certain clear health risks. This is really sad thing to hear about amputations.

Comment

My uncle had his leg amputated about 5 years ago due to diabetes. I believe that the amputation of a limb prevents the rest of the body from being infected. Diabetes causes problems with blood circulation--fluctuations in blood sugar levels damages blood vessels. This can cause an infection to keep from healing.

Comment

Originally posted by patrol71 View Post
          My uncle had his leg amputated about 5 years ago due to diabetes. I believe that the amputation of a limb prevents the rest of the body from being infected. Diabetes causes problems with blood circulation--fluctuations in blood sugar levels damages blood vessels. This can cause an infection to keep from healing.
          Then the amputation is actually a prophylactic maneuver?

I hear of amputations where no infection is present, and only the nerves have stopped sending signals.

Comment

amputation

peripherial artery iseases, peripherial neuropathy, inernal abscess, necrotizing skin dyfunction etc are all diabetes related complications of poor control.

Many people undergo mputation because of PAD. The alck of return circulation means the internal tissue is dying.
            Many complain of limited feeling or cold feeling and that is cause for amputatona s its a key.

A small cut that gets infected o outward signs that diabics do not see are also cause for catastrohic surgical intervention.

Many diabetics who are on oral antidiabetcs, combined with diet and exercise are th ones who we mostly see enter into the OR.

INsulin dependantwho aer religious in control measures are less likely to have a diabetes surgery.

Comment

This is my husband's worst nightmare

He's kind of obsessing over it.

I want to do everything I can to help him avoid this situation and keep his feet and legs healthy.

Comment

Get A Second Opinion

I would think that the lack of feeling in his legs would have to be very severe if there is no infection yet the doctor wants to amputate. If there is such a lack of feeling or circulation, the problem is that the end of the leg after amputation might also lose feeling and so then they might have to just do a higher up amputation.

Your family has the right to get a second opinion. I think you should ask for one now. My mother had only part of her foot amputated when we were battling gangrene in it because her surgeon wanted to try and get her circulation better rather than amputate more and more.

If your relative can also get a good diabetes doctor to help him get in control to improve his circulation, that might be the best thing he could do for himself now.

I know all our thoughts and good wishes are with your uncle.

Comment

There are non diabetics who suffer from neuropathies, like numbness of toes and such.

Why aren't amputations performed in those cases?

Comment

because

Because generally non diabetics have good return circulation.
                    A diabetic has a compromised circulatory system so they think that amputation will prevent gangerne and other complications.

Many have had immense luck with a high insulin regimen and Lyrica.I know one woman who never took insulin and her doctor tried her on LAntus with R with every meal and lyrica and a single aspirin. he also put her on fish oil and in four weeks her abscess were resolving and feeling was coming back. So it depends on how old fashioned the doctor is.

People with other distal neuropathies who are not diabetic usually have neurological problems. So they are dealt with in their won method.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that anyone has to have an amputation.

And my impression was that it's done to prevent diseased flesh from contaminating the rest of the body, as mentioned in a post above.

Comment

Amputations

Unfortunately, amputations are the most common in people with diabetes but that is one of the many reasons to try your best to control the disease through exercise and meal planning. Exericse is critical since it increases circulation - making amputation less likely. It is also critical that you read or re-read Nurse Robbie's newsletter on Foot care. She points out various ways to care for your feet so if there is a wound - you will deal know it immediately and have a physician treat it before it becomes untreatable.

Comment

Working...
                        X