Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foot Swelling question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Foot Swelling question?

    Hello, im new here, well been lurking for awhile. A few months back I was diagnoised with type 2 diabetes. My question though has to do with my foot. Both feet, from my ankles down were swelling, now for the last month its only been my left one. I can't get shoes on , I was wearing Crocs, and now can't even get those on my one foot. Ive now lost most of the feeling in my big toe and the one next to it. My doctor a couple of months ago, put me on a diuretic, but thats not helping the one foot that is still swelling. She thought maybe it might be gout, but tested me, and its not that. I don't have insurance, so doing a lot of test, or sending me to someone right now is kind of out of the question. Was wondering, if any of you have this same type problem? Is it a sign that my feet are going to be a problem with the diabetes?
    Any help or suggestions would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

  • #2
    Benfotiamine for Diabetic Neuropathy

    I was just listening to Gary Null show on KPFK.org (archived under July 9th audio archives) and he was mentioning about Benfotiamine. Benfotiamine is a fat soluble form of B1 which has been used successfully in Europe for last 4 to 5 decades for addressing diabetic neuropathic conditions. You may research further if Benfotiamine is good for you.

    Comment


    • #3
      in regards to your feet

      n regards to your feet swelling, yes it is due to diabetes and also the hot weather. Your lucky that your feet are only swelling.....My feet use to be on fire, as well as swollen. I would put my feet on ice packs, & i would soak my feet in a friends pool, just to get comfortable. That was all before I knew I had the illness.

      I know you dont have insurance, but maybe you should reconsider getting some. Montel Williams sponsors health care that provides free meds to people who qualify....here is the link: http://www.freemedicinerevolution.com/

      Diabetes can kill you. Having diabetes is expensive enough when having to test your sugar 2 - 3 times a day. I would rather know then not know. From what you wrote, I am wondering if you even test your sugar since your guessing on the symptons that you have, and your lack of having the insurance. Good luck and I wish you the best

      shellie

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you both for your coments! I really do appreciate it, I will check out the link for the meds, and also will look into the Benfotiamine. My foot at one time on the side of my foot use to feel like it was on fire, but thankfully that went away, I can't imagine a whole foot feeling like that. I know i just feel like its always one thing after another lately, and its diabetes related. I thought for sometime, before being diagnoised that I might have it, but ignored it........i guess thinkin it would go away. almost 2 weeks a go i had a really close call, my bloodsugar unexpectantly dropped to 30 ....was very very scarey, it sure let me know quickly who's in control.
        Hope nothing but the best for the 2 of you, and thanks again so much for the information.

        Comment


        • #5
          feet

          Originally posted by La Donna View Post
          Hello, im new here, well been lurking for awhile. A few months back I was diagnoised with type 2 diabetes. My question though has to do with my foot. Both feet, from my ankles down were swelling, now for the last month its only been my left one. I can't get shoes on , I was wearing Crocs, and now can't even get those on my one foot. Ive now lost most of the feeling in my big toe and the one next to it. My doctor a couple of months ago, put me on a diuretic, but thats not helping the one foot that is still swelling. She thought maybe it might be gout, but tested me, and its not that. I don't have insurance, so doing a lot of test, or sending me to someone right now is kind of out of the question. Was wondering, if any of you have this same type problem? Is it a sign that my feet are going to be a problem with the diabetes?
          Any help or suggestions would sure be appreciated. Thanks.
          I've had diabetes (diagnosed) 2/02 since then i have swelled up big time 3x's. I also had congestive heart failure too! If my left leg swells ok but if both swell,then goes to my knees and upward,very,very bad news 4 me.I've used alot of water pills ,but they only go so far.I am on a diet ,45days today ,and losing. I hope that helps me ,if my leg (left) does not go down ,it's because of my heart!I'll pray 4 everyone in these forums everyday from now on,ok?By the way any info on the burning of feet and BUTT! My dupa hurts as well as feet!

          Comment


          • #6
            As long as you have gone to your doctor and he is doing tests to find the reason for the swelling, you are doing a great job in taking care of yourself.

            My feet and ankles used to swell in the heat of the summer and I used to do a few things.

            Try and raise your foot when you see that it is swelling or when it is hurting you. Don't put pressure on the ankle but rest your calf on a little table with a pillow on it.

            Keep far away from salty foods. Your food might taste a bit dull for a while but you will get used to the lack of salt quickly.

            Make absolutely certain that you drink the full 8, 10 ounce glasses of water a day! It sounds strange but the less you drink the more you will swell up. It does make sense when you think about it though. The body tries to retain water if you are dehydrated. If you have plenty of water in your body after drinking it, then the body lets itself get rid of any retained water because it doesn't need it.

            In the coolest past of the day try and get some exercise. Just a nice slow walk around the block is a good start. Try and keep your blood circulating, that is good for your all over health.

            I hope this helps some.

            Comment


            • #7
              ascites and water retention

              my feet swell like a waterballoon being filled by a faucet..
              it was so bad last week i could not bear standing at all. I had to lay down with my feet elevated. Even taking lasix didnt help.
              So heres what my doc sdaid.. well diabetes willc ause that and amild duretic taken everyday will keep it under control.
              But you ave to stay on a low sodium diet, reist coffee even iced. drink tea instead. avoid processed meats.. and it will help.

              Aftera while i had a gallstone attack. so now I am on baby size protiosn of food andlots of water and salt substitute. The diabetologsist suggested its teh first stage osignaling renal problems.

              I knwo I cant stand teh pain when that happens. Lucky for me my job allows me to take care of my health when i have a problems without penalty.

              julie

              Comment


              • #8
                ouch those feet!

                Originally posted by jimmys devoted View Post
                my feet swell like a waterballoon being filled by a faucet..
                it was so bad last week i could not bear standing at all. I had to lay down with my feet elevated. Even taking lasix didnt help.
                So heres what my doc sdaid.. well diabetes willc ause that and amild duretic taken everyday will keep it under control.
                But you ave to stay on a low sodium diet, reist coffee even iced. drink tea instead. avoid processed meats.. and it will help.

                Aftera while i had a gallstone attack. so now I am on baby size protiosn of food andlots of water and salt substitute. The diabetologsist suggested its teh first stage osignaling renal problems.

                I knwo I cant stand teh pain when that happens. Lucky for me my job allows me to take care of my health when i have a problems without penalty.

                julie
                Julie , i recommend elevating your feet above your head ,while on your back. How much Lasix are you taking? Make sure if your taking salt substitute ,you are not taking high blood pressure pills.Look up interactions on the internet walking helps. make sure your heart is ok.Many times it could be heart problems,as in my case. the only thing that helps is walking and sleeping 8 hrs straight,instead of the cat naps i take.My right leg is getting smaller with insulin since 02/15/08 and diet and vitamins and
                anti oxidants galore .It has helped.Hair grew back(sickness pneumonia{double})losing weight,Walking outside.I was a shut in until tiday.my heart is getting stronger and i got sandals at Payless Shoe Source(my toes are not squashed, 50% of foot pain gone
                If you need to talk email me wilbzbooboo@gmail.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just curious about something---how is your blood pressure? If you have diabetes and high blood pressure--your body is going to swell---I have not been diagnosed with diabetes as of yet (knock on wood)--but I have had high blood pressure for many years---and I swell all the time--I get sausage fingers---and there has been times when my ankles will swell and make my feet feel like they weigh 100 pounds.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Foot care is really a must when it comes to diabetes. The most common area affected by its complication are the foot since that's the area that is easily wounded. Once wounded, it heals slower because of the high levels of sugar in the blood.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for the input.

                      I am not eating that much salt, never have. I omitted it from my diet when i wa slittle and aside form everyt now and then a sprinkle i dont use it. Please don't look at how old the salt box in my house.. LOL
                      What I have is DVT and first stage renal disease from complications o fteh diabetes. I also developed vericose veins from my old job.

                      So for me, we went another route.
                      1 aspsirin a day to keep platelets slick,
                      every morning an aerobics or belly dancing round, to get blood flowing again and ntermittent exercise when they begin to swell.
                      I wa son monopril it didnt help, I was on divan it didnt help so wiht that we went old fashioned route of Dewitts tablets or Aquaban.. just to keep everything flowing

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Swollen feet

                        Originally posted by Sweetvtmom View Post
                        Just curious about something---how is your blood pressure? If you have diabetes and high blood pressure--your body is going to swell---I have not been diagnosed with diabetes as of yet (knock on wood)--but I have had high blood pressure for many years---and I swell all the time--I get sausage fingers---and there has been times when my ankles will swell and make my feet feel like they weigh 100 pounds.
                        My blood pressure is 90/55.I had Heart problems so the doctor wants lower numbers to heal my heart.Only my left leg swells.If my right leg swells i will go to the hospital.Because it is a straight line to my heart(the end of the road) If your legs swell ,try to use higher dosage of Lasix(only if Doctor agrees) to get your legs down.Try to get them down to normal,then it will be harder to swell.If you keep your legs slightly swollen then they tend to swell easily.Summary: plenty of Lasix for your legs and try to get it back to normal.Once done ,it will be harder to swell up.If you leave your legs swollen still ,it will swell easier.Feet above your head.In severe cases legs very high above your head about 1 hour intervals or take a nap

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Luckily, my foot swelling got better, but about 2 months ago, blisters started appearing on the bottom of my foot, that had been swelling. It eventually spread to the whole bottom and a bit of the side of my foot, and in between all of my toes. It took me almost 2 months for that to heal. The doctor called it Diabetic Buello, not sure of the spelling of it. It was a painful mess to say the least though. Some has come back in between my toes, but luckily I still had some of the prescription creams he had given me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Diabetic Bullae

                            Diabetic Bullae. here is alink to a basic understanding of it
                            http://dermnetnz.org/systemic/diabetes.html
                            http://dermnetnz.org/systemic/diabetes.html#db
                            WARNING photos of condition are a bit gross.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank you Jimmy, and yep it is very gross. I do hope I never get it again to that extent, was a long painful, scarey road to recovery.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X